The church of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Rome was founded as a church of the Roman College, a prestigious educational institution-cultural model of all the colleges of the Society of Jesus in the world, for Jesuits and external. Founded in 1551 by St. Ignatius as “Grammar School, humanity and Christian doctrine, free” the Collegio Romano featured an institution of considerable importance in the movement of spiritual restoration developed by the Council of Trent. The Jesuits, convinced that the positive evolution of the world depended on the good education of youth, have undoubtedly contributed to the dissemination of literary and scientific culture, the Christian education of young people and the philosophical and theological preparation of the Catholic clergy worldwide. The Roman College had several temporary locations until in 1560 was placed in some buildings donated by Marchesa Tolfa area occupied in part by the present church of St. Ignatius. Between 1562 and 1567 was built the adjoining church of the facade on the current route of St. Ignatius. Subsequently, in order to expand the headquarters, Gregory XIII ordered the construction of the current south of the building. The purchase of the area and the start of work dating back to 1581 and in 1584 was inaugurated the new college. The Church of the Annunciation was no longer able to accommodate students who, on the beginning of the century. XVII, in increasing numbers, attended the College. To remedy this situation, Gregory XV, who was a former student of the Collegio Romano and was canonized Ignatius in 1622, he suggested to his nephew, Cardinal. Ludovico Ludovisi, to erect a temple to the founder of the Society of Jesus at the College. The young Cardinal accepted the proposal, churches projects in various architects and chose finally that of p. Orazio Grassi (1583- 1654), professor of mathematics at the College itself. The first stone was laid only four years later, August 2, 1626, as it was to build a dismantling of one of the buildings that made up the Roman College. The church was opened to the public in 1650, on the occasion of the jubilee year. Only in 1722 the card. Zondadari could solemnly consecrate the church finally completed. It is there where in imperial times was located the temple of Isis, around which developed the Egyptian district. Where today the facade rose then Show Acqua Vergine, which still flows underground. The church overlooks the square today; the invention of the square Rococo is due to Philip Raguzzini (1680- 1771).